Day 27 - May 19, 2012 (Episode 4)

Today was a rest day.  We practically would have the whole day to do whatever we liked.  Perfect for an opportunity to do some sight-seeing!  As much time as we spend in these great cities, it’s rare that the show will allow us to go do some true sight-seeing, since we just don’t have extra time.  With that, seeing the city would be my plan, however that would be about as far as it would get!

We started the day by changing hotels.  We would end up going to what will now be our new home-base between episodes.  It wasn’t too far from the Grand Hotel and it’s still in the heart of the city, so it makes for a great location.  In fact, the hotel has a nice gym, nice restaurant, and some other nice amenities.  The only catch is that again, we have to share a small size queen bed with another guy.

After getting to the hotel, we dropped off our bags and went to lunch.  Again, my intentions were to go sight-seeing with Johnathan after lunch, but Alf had some insight that changed my current thinking.  Recently, I’ve been thinking that I should start eating more salads, instead of the meat and carbs that seems to be served with every meal.  Along with that, I decided that I should start passing on the free beer that we get with most of our meals, since I’m starting to put some weight back on and I may not be in as great of shape as I need to be.  I told this to Alf, to which he responded, “That’s the stuff you can do at home.  How many times are you going to be in Norway on someone else’s dime?  You might as well enjoy every moment of it!”  He’s right!  I don’t have to overeat or get drunk every night, but if it’s not going to affect how I do on the show, why not enjoy it!  With that, Alf, C.J. and I ordered the restaurant’s largest beer, and after lunch, instead of sight-seeing, our Mama for the day, “Mama Christine Two” (a substitute Mama for the day, since the other three had the day off), took us to her favorite day-drinking spot!  Christine, Alf, C.J. and I spent our next three hours sitting at an outdoor café talking, drinking, and watching the day go by.  I still plan on going to see some sights at some point, but as you know, this is exactly how I like to vacation!  Just sharing some beer and stories with good friends!  Great times and I’m glad I did it!
We're some real G's!  CJ, Alf and I, beginning our alcoholism!

Next came dinner with Mama Brita.  We went to a Thai restaurant and I really liked it!  (I don’t think I have had Thai before and I’m not sure if Indianapolis has any great spots, but if they do, we need to find them!  It may have been my beers from the afternoon, but it was really good!)  After dinner, I really wanted to see a sporting event.  Unfortunately, there wasn’t anything going on in town.  However, there was a huge soccer match on TV that night.  While everyone else went back to the hotel, Brita, Johnathan, Amy, C.J. and I went to a bar to watch it.  The place was packed and we ended up standing to watch the first half.  I was frustrated with that bar, so I decided to walk and see if I could find another bar with some seats.  On my way, I heard the sound of live music, so I decided to check it out!

The place was a small club and had a very artsy feel to it.  I made my way through the crowd to the bar, ordered a drink, but discovered that my credit card wouldn’t work there (which seems to happen at every other place we go).  Fortunately, some guy noticed that I was struggling and offered to buy it for me!  This, of course, started a great conversation.  He, myself and two of his friends hung out for the next couple of hours.  His name was Amund and he has a three year old boy, so we had a lot to talk about.  I felt bad about him having to buy me a beer, so I made a quick run to find an ATM, so I could buy him a round in return.  On the way, every corner had some guy trying to sell you weed.  I was told to not make eye contact with any of them, which I adhered to.  However, when I got to the ATM, I noticed that one guy was tracking me from behind and another guy was getting closer from the other direction.  I was pretty sure that I was about to get mugged, so I prepped myself to start swinging.  Fortunately, my money came pretty quickly and the guys hung back a little bit.  I quickly parted the area and made my way back to the bar.

After a couple more rounds of beers with my new friends, the band wrapped up their show, which started to empty the bar.  I took that as a good time to say my goodbyes and headed back to the hotel.  I got back around 1:00 and went straight to bed.  I may not have seen all the sights of Oslo, but I did get to spend a lot of time hanging with Oslo’s people.  I’m good with that!  Good times, good night!
 

Day 27 Over!!




 
(Expand the "Blog Archive" to the right to find additional entries.)

No comments:

Post a Comment