Day 16 - May 8, 2012 (Episode 3)

Today is another travel day.  I woke up at 7:30 and decided to go for a run.  I was going to run on the hotel treadmill, but Jessica, Austin and Johnathan were doing yoga in there.  Instead, I took about a 3-mile run outside and then ran 9 flights of stairs (thanks to Tara for the idea) when I got back to the hotel.  (Okay, ran 7 flights and walked 2.)  A good workout, but it knocked me out for the rest of the day!  After breakfast, we boarded a bus for the airport and were told we were flying to the city of Stavanger (on the West coast).



About to board our flight to Stavanger.

Once we arrived in Stvanager, we found out that we were going to be going to an oil rig tomorrow, and the best part, apparently we will be going there by way of helicopter!!  We even had to meet with a doctor today, to verify that we’re healthy and okay to go.  (Funny thing, we were given a hint that we should “omit the truth” if we were feeling sick or have done any illegal drugs in the last year!)  Everyone passed without issue and we returned to the hotel about two hours before dinner.  With the extra time, most of the group decided to go out for a walk and tour the town.  I was so worn out from my workout, I used the time to lie down and rest, something I desperately needed!




A model of the oil rig that we think we may be going on.

Eventually, it was time for dinner, which consisted of some very good food at a local restaurant.  (They keep hooking us up with dinners at some great places!)  After dinner, we went back to the hotel for “information”.  They gave us more info about the oil rig.  Sounds like it should be a lot of fun!  After our meeting, I felt like a drink and without hesitation, Alf and CJ decided to join me.  We walked  around town and saw some really neat sights.  Stavanger seems to be a very progressive and hopping city, but all set on the old European streets with the cobblestone roads and small back alleys.  Very cool!  Eventually, we gave up on finding a dive bar for CJ and asked some locals on where to go.  They gave us directions, but asked what we were doing in Stavanger.  We let them know we were with Alt for Norge and they immediately wanted a photo with us, as well as telling us that “you’re going to be famous!”  Ha!  I don’t know about that, but it’s funny to hear.




Dinner out with the cast and Mama Ane!

We ended up landing at a bar called the “Irishman”.  We were pretty quick and only had one drink, but still had a good time and spent it discussing how we felt about all of the cast so far.  Seems as though everyone is pretty much getting along!  Amazing, considering that we’ve been with each other 24-7 for over two weeks now.  My expectation for a reality show would be that there were such strong personalities that there would inevitably be conflict.  So far, that hasn’t proven to be true, but we’ll have to see as time goes on.  Could also be due to the type of characters they casted for this “family show”.


Johnathan and my room for the next couple of nights.
Cozy bed for the two of us!
After our drink, we headed back to the hotel, where I found my roommate Johnathan sleeping on the floor.  Poor guy!  Earlier that day, when we discovered our sleeping accommodations, we found a small, queen sized bed for the two of us to share.  Jokingly, I said, “one of us is going to have to sleep on the floor!”  I didn’t realize that he would take me serious.  I woke him up and probably in a scary moment for him, I said, “Get in bed.”  It would be close quarters that night, but at least both of us would sleep somewhat comfortably.



DAY 16 OVER!





The Oslo airport!

Leaving our hotel, the Myregaarden, to go take our physicals for the oil rig!

A playground made up completely of scrap parts from oil rigs!


A look from the pier of Stavanger!


An oil rig drill bit. Look at the size of that thing!


A Norwegian Navy (I think) boat that I passed by while touring the town.
 
(Expand the "Blog Archive" to the right to find additional entries.)

No comments:

Post a Comment