Day 59 - June 20, 2012 (Episode 10: The Finals!)

Today was our first challenge and first part of our last episode!  It would be a long day, but a good one!

The "Final Four" on our final boat ride out to today's first challenge.
We were told it would be physical, so we all broke out our
workout gear, including C.J.  Ha!
We got things started today at 8:30 and jumped on a boat for an hour ride.  During that, they filmed us talking about our favorite times and places and did some cheesy shots of us having “deep thoughts.”  Finally, we arrived at the location of our first challenge.  It was at the very southern tip of an island and the area was called Verdens Ende or “The World’s End.”  Soon Henriette announced what our competition would be.


A shot of the map that we would
use for today's challenge.

The rules were pretty simple.  Each contestant would have to row a boat to six boxes that were floating in the ocean.  In each box was a picture, which we would need to grab and as soon as we had all six, we could row back to shore.  Once back at shore, you would have to run up the rocky terrain and place the photos on a board that has a map of Norway.  Each picture represents a place where we’ve been throughout our journey and the only catch was the board was blank, other than the outline of Norway, so you’d have to know/guess where the location of that picture was.  For each picture placed more than 5 cm away from the actual location, you would add an extra minute to your total time.  Knowing it’s a physical challenge and that I own a row boat, I figured I could definitely build enough padding into my time, so even if I get a couple pictures wrong, I’d still have a chance to finish something other than last.  You never know what could happen, but I’m feeling pretty good right now!




We did the typical interviews and then broke for lunch.  At lunch, you could see the concern on Jessica’s face.  This would be a really hard challenge for her with her broken rib(s).  Plus, she had never been in or rowed a boat before, whereas the other three of us had.  The order would be Jessica, myself, C.J. and Johnathan.


A look at our row boat course. Those black spots in the water are
the six floating baskets that contained our pictures.
After waiting for an hour or so for Jessica to get prepped and go and do her interviews, it was my turn.  (By the way, for some reason, my routine before an individual challenge has become listening and dancing to Alicia Keys and Jay Z’s “Empire State of Mind”, all while my hood is up, looking like a boxer about to enter the ring.  Not sure why, but it seems to do the trick.)  They did some prepping, but then it was time to go.  I jumped in the row boat and was off.  I pretty much did as well as I could on it, despite the terribly windy conditions.  I only had a slight struggle with two of them, but even those went quickly.  I made my way back to shore with my six pictures in tow.  When I got to the island, I jumped off the boat and made my way up the rocky surface.  Knowing that the physical side of this is where I will gain my advantage, I was flying.  Unfortunately though, I lost footing at one point and took a nasty fall.  I was quickly back to my feet, but with a rolled ankle and several cuts, and finished my way up the rocks and to the board.  I knew exactly what all six photos represented and knew the general location of each, but was only 100% sure on one.  I stuck to my same game plan that I’ve been using all season by making quick, decisive decisions, and trusting my instincts.  I quickly put up all six photos and my time was complete.




A very familiar view, from the casts standpoint. The
only thing missing was the director and soundguy.
Following the finish, I did my interviews and then had to wait another two hours for C.J. and Johnathan to complete their turns.  Then, it was time for results.



As we lined up for the results and after seeing the expressions on the other three, I felt really good about my chances.  I didn’t feel there was any chance that I would be eliminated and even felt pretty sure I would get first.  Sure enough, Henriette announced that I was the fastest!  I would be moving onto the next challenge!

After some buildup, Henriette then announced that the second place contestant was Jessica!  Wow!  Everyone assumed that she was done!  Even she had a completely defeated look on her face going into the announcements.  This means that either C.J. or Johnathan would soon find out that their chance of winning, after competing for 58 days, would now be over.  Then, after a long pause and some very intense drama, Henriette announced that Johnathan would be moving forward!  C.J. was out!!  It was very tough and I felt awful for him, but at the same time, it was a great thing for me.  I can almost guarantee that our next challenge would be memory based and with that, he would be the worst to go up against.




C.J. giving the "double-birds" to the row boat that
kept him from advancing!
In a twist, Henriette then announced that C.J. would actually get to stay and watch the rest of the competitions instead of going home!  (From our information yesterday, we just assumed that after being eliminated, we would be allowed to hang around, but not on camera, so this was a nice surprise.)  I was extremely happy with this news.  I really like these 3 people and would consider them good friends now.  I’m glad to know that we’ll get to stay together both on and off the camera and finish this show out together!

We did our wrap up interviews and found out that not only did C.J. get last, but he actually tripled Johnathan’s time!  He apparently was absolutely horrible in the row boat and did so bad that the director was screaming instructions at him just to help him get finished!  (As you can imagine, the way that C.J. tells it is much funnier!)

After interviews, we jumped in a car and headed to our new accommodations.  When we got there, they filmed us walking up to a remote cabin next to the sea.  It was a really nice place and had a great location, a short distance from the seashore, but the sleeping accommodations sucked!  There were two small rooms with small bunk beds in each one.  I was really hoping we would each have our own room to wind the season down, but it is what it is.

A look at the fish that we found on our plate. Not sure why it looks like I ate
more than the one bite I took, but it was awful. I even put a layer of pineapple
down, so that my potatoes would have protection from the fish juices!



After filming us discovering the place, we were filmed sitting down to a dinner outside.  On the table was a whole fish for each of us.  It looked like it had just been gutted and was thrown on the grill for just a short while.  It looked disgusting and smelled even worse!  I took one bite of mine and decided I was done.  I just ate potatoes.  On the flip side, Johnathan ate his whole fish, which became really funny when the director walked over, smelled the fish, took a small bite and said, “Don’t eat the fish!”  Apparently, there was something wrong with it.  Immediately, you could see Johnathan’s face turning green!  Poor guy.



We finished up filming and had a real dinner off camera.  However, Johnathan spent most of his time in the bathroom.  I don’t think he had food poisoning, but I think in his mind he did.

After dinner, I had some very interesting information.  Mama Brita pulled me aside and told me she needed to talk to me privately.  Immediately, I was very nervous.  We went outside and found a large rock to sit on, a little distance down the driveway.  It was there that she told me something incredible.  She started by saying that I had to promise not to tell any of the other contestants, which I agreed.  Then, she told me that the winner of the show would not only get to meet their Norwegian family, but their immediate family would be surprising them and flying in as well!!  If/when I win this thing, you and the girls will get to experience the celebration with me!  There couldn’t be a better ending!  However, there was also bad news.  The reason that she was telling me all of this was because our girls were having trouble getting their passports.  Apparently, a Power of Attorney signature wouldn’t work and they needed my actual signature in front of a notary.  With that, she and I made a plan to get up early the next day and go to the local government center to sign the necessary forms.  Very exciting news and definitely gives me some extra motivation to win this thing now!
A really funny moment! We had discovered wild
strawberries during our hike. Poor Johnathan, who is
color blind, had to ask for help finding them, as he was
walking right through a patch and squishing them all!
I tried to help him get a taste. Good stuff!

To wrap up the night, Johnathan, Jessica, Mama Ane and I went exploring.  We found some really cool rocks and hills to climb.  Norway really has some of the most amazing scenery and is absolutely perfect for hiking!




After a good hour or so of hiking, we headed back, hung out for a little bit, watched some TV, then called it a night.  When I got to bed, I did some journaling and studying.  I’m sure tomorrow will be memory-based and probably recall from the rest of the season.  Got to be as prepared as possible, especially going up against these two competitors and knowing the stakes!

 

 
Day 59 Over!!

 


Our ship, the Pernille, for our final sail!
 

Jessica and Johnathan catching some rays.
 

C.J. tanning his hands.
 
 
The Final Four on the island of our first competition.
 

We discovered jellyfish everywhere!  The shores
were lined with them and we were told that
the numbers were actually down this year!
 

A look at the film crew checking a position
for filming an interview with C.J.
 

Thor, our producer, wasn't afraid to
help out where needed.  Unfortunately
for him, this position would earn him
some of the most swollen and
sun-burnt feet I've ever seen!!
 

A look back at Verdens Ende, a really cool location!
 

The local children were actually practicing a
routine that they were going to perform for the
King and Queen who were sailing in tomorrow!
They were so excited to have us there that
they did a special run through for us!
 
 
Johnathan trying to befriend a baby
goat on our hike.
 

Jessica and Mama Ane got seperated
from the rest of us during our hike.


The sun was starting to set on us that night. (And
on our journey in Norway.  Oh, what poetry!!)
 
 
A great shot of the sunset that night.

 

Returning from our hike.  Here's a look at our cabin.
 

J-Nation, Jessica and I dancing it out to
Euphoria one more time!!
 

And the dance continues!!


(Expand the "Blog Archive" to the right to find additional entries.)

No comments:

Post a Comment