Day 10 - May 2, 2012 (Episode 2)

Today was simply a travel day, nothing too crazy to report.  We got on the bus at 12:30 after a good breakfast and a quick walk to get a Norwegian flag, from the mall, that I’m going to have the cast and crew sign.  The bus ride was about six hours or so, of which I spent about half of it studying with the flash cards that I made in Nordby.  This brought me to a big dilemma and what would typically be an American reality show error:  Sharing tools that could help you get an edge.  First thing to note is that it’s almost impossible to hide anything and/or find time to get away and study, without looking like you’re trying to be a loner.  You’re either traveling with the entire group, eating with the entire group or sharing a room with someone else.  It’s rare to find free time to be alone.  Inevitably, and as happened today on the bus, someone’s going to notice you studying, as did Dana today.  Next thing you know, I’m sharing my cards with him, then Austin, then Stephanie and before long, everyone is passing them around.  Obviously, this isn’t the greatest strategy if you’re trying to gain an edge, but we really feel like a family, so it’s hard not to want to help the other cast members out.  Plus, in a show where they’re pushing for people to be nice, you would really come off looking like a jerk if you didn’t share.  Anyways, it’s okay, I only give them the cards that I know so I’m sort of one step ahead still.

The Fossheim Hotel in Lom.  A great hotel in a great town!
Moving on, we eventually made it to the city of Lom after seeing some incredible sights during our ride, including Lillehammer (sight of the 1994 Winter Olympics!).  The city of Lom was a very old town surrounded by mountains.  It had some really cool sights, including a 1,000+ year-old church, a river running through it and some really neat buildings.  We were given two and a half hours to tour it, which we took full advantage of.  Then, we met for dinner without the crew (they continued on and were staying near our filming sight).  Dinner was very good, but I noticed that Austin is very good about eating just protein and veggies and staying away from carbs.  Probably a lesson I should learn.  After dinner we received our “information” for the next day and then everyone went to bed.  ("Information" is always a very brief summary of important things for the next day.  Usually, we're told what time we need to meet and what we need to wear, but that's about it.  It's rare that we ever know what we're going to be doing outside of the next 12 hours.)    I’m rooming with Austin tonight and we have the best room out of the group, which includes some great views of the city.  Austin continues to be a good guy and easy to hang out with.  Also, as in shape as he is, it gives me goals and keeps me motivated to work out!  I’m glad I’m married, otherwise this may sound weird that I keep talking about another guy’s body!  Ha!
A Stave Church - Extremely old and some incredible architecture!

Anyways, apparently we’re going to have a long day tomorrow!  Competition day!  Better get some sleep!

DAY 10 OVER!



The cast, after being dropped off in Lom.
The crew would continue onto a hotel closer
to our next days competition.
 
 
My hotel room for the night.  Austin and I would
be roommates and would enjoy the best room the
hotel had to offer!
 

A view from our hotel room balcony.  You can
see the stave church in the background.

 

Not sure who this is, but I might have
to try rocking that same neckbeard!


A look at the river that runs through Lom!
 
 
 
(Expand the "Blog Archive" to the right to find additional entries.)

9 comments:

  1. I swam in that river, just under that waterfall. VERY strong currents, and cold glacial water :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stuck my hand in that water and that was about all I could take!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your hotel room! It doesn’t look too commercial. Just the perfect abode after your activity. I’m sure you and the rest of the crew were able to have quality rest. After all, you seem to still have a long way to go. So where, did you stay the following nights? Cami Collazo ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in responding to this, Cami, but we stayed the following nights in a small cabin up in the mountains! It was incredible!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! Even if you just hung out in your hotel room balcony, I think you would still enjoy it. Man, the view is amazing! For me, if you try to look at it, it’s as if a really perfect place to daydream, imagine wonderful things. Haha!

    Danny Riddell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true, Danny! It was just like a dream, which made it all the more special that we got to experience it first hand. Very cool!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I view the pictures, I can see that it is a truly beautiful old town. I am envious that you got to see that 1,000+ old church! That’s quite a piece of history there! And the river running through the town is just lovely – it makes for a romantic scene in that quaint, little place. By the way, you’re right that it’s good that you’re married. Otherwise, I would think you have a crush on Austin! Kidding! Anyway, any recent travel experiences you had?

    -- <a href="http://visitalbanyga.com/”>Daphne Michaels</a>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Daphne! Yeah, I may have had a thing for Austin! Ha! As for additional traveling, nothing too crazy lately, but my wife and I are heading back to Norway in May. Can't wait!

      Delete