Day 7 - April 29, 2012 (Episode 1)

Today was another long day of filming.  Starting at 9:00 A.M. and ending past midnight, involving more video, our first taste of “traditional” food and a chance to swim in a fjord.

I started the day with a quick run at 9:00.  I really needed to do something athletic.  (We seem to do a lot of standing every day, which is already starting to wear me down.   I need to be able to get in some exercise whenever I can.)  It felt good and I got to see some of the area, which we otherwise weren’t going to see.
I got back, cleaned up and headed out to our first task of the day, to do our group opening shot that would be used in the opening of every show.  It actually went fairly quickly and I was the first one done with my individual shot.  Because of this, they told me I could go back and get changed.  Knowing that I had some extra time, I decided to tour more of the fort, since we haven't been given any time to view anything other than what we had done our filming.  Pretty neat stuff, but apparently, it got me in trouble.  I guess they wanted me to go straight back and thought that they had lost me.  After a brief apology and explanation of where I was, we were back on track.
Fish eggs have never been enticing to
me, especially when served like
toothpaste!
Next was our first test of a “traditional” Norwegian breakfast.  It consisted of every type of fish-nastiness you could imagine, some of it even gets served in tubes (like toothpaste)!  Most of it was nasty.  Fortunately though, we didn’t have to eat it all, but I still voluntarily tried everything!  They may have been small bites, but I didn't want to miss out on any of Norway!
After breakfast, we gathered to go to a picnic.  We jumped on a bus and headed to a beach next to a fjord.  There, we were supposed to go swimming but we ran out of time.  However, we did have time to do some wading, have a bar-b-que, and drink some of Alf’s mead (a honey wine)!  It was really good!  Half the group was also asked to go find some mussels in the water.  This was the first time to see Austin in all of his glory.  Dude has an incredible body, which you could see the cameras loving!  Pretty funny!  Then, they did interviews where we watched Dana get sent away for causing too many distractions.  He’s a trouble-maker, but pretty funny too!
Searching for mussels with Mr. Muscles, Austin Muller!
 
We finally wrapped things up and headed back to the bus so we could go back to the fort.  However, before we left, I found some locals playing soccer, so I had to join in, as did a couple of the other cast members.  This was my first glimpse of CJ and his string of bad luck/athleticism.  He, while carrying his backpack and some other things to keep his hands full, went to kick the soccer ball, whiffed, lost his balance, and landed square on his butt!  It was pretty humorous and the locals definitely enjoyed the show!
Alf Herigstad, the first winner of the Norwegian
Spririt Award!  Looks just like him, huh?!
When we got back, we dressed up and went to a special dinner.  There, we were served mussels, salmon, crab, some form of fish and a beautiful dessert, all by a very famous Norwegian chef/celebrity, Ole Martin!  I wasn’t a huge fan of the salmon with caviar, but liked the rest.  This was also when Henriette came in and announced the winner of the first Norwegian Spirit Award (represented by an ugly troll doll).  Alf, who shared his mead and his ritual with the group, was very deserving and therefore, the recipient of the troll!  Couldn't go to a better guy!
After that, more interviews, then we got packed up and on a bus for our next destination, which would be Oslo!  (However, we were not allowed to go into the downtown area of Oslo yet, so we stayed in the outskirts at a hotel called Hotel 33.  A very nice hotel, but in an more-industrial part of town.)
 
 
Only new things to report: discovered that I’m having trouble getting anything in word-wise on camera.  One, because there are some pretty loud people that like screen-time, but also because I’m not “over-acting”.  I’m really trying to be myself, unlike some of the others, which seem to be trying to “turn it on” for the camera.  Again, really growing to like some members (Austin, Dana, Jessica, C.J., Alf, Barbara, and Johnathan).  Overall, I like the group as a whole and we seem to really get along!
On to Monday, which is meet-the-press day!

Day 7 Over!
Austin at the beach.  We were always told to
dress in layers, hence his three layers of clothes
on this beautiful day!
 
Was hoping to do some swimming, but time
didn't allow.  Too bad!  Looks like it would have
been really refreshing!
 
Dinner with Chef Ole Martin!  Not the biggest fan
of the caviar, but the mussels were really good!


This dessert was actually made by the local chef
 that night.  Not the American portions I'm used
to, but still a very tasty dessert!
 
 
 
(Expand the "Blog Archive" to the right to find additional entries.)

No comments:

Post a Comment